Thursday, September 29, 2011

"There's Pictures In Here"

That was a quote from one of the girls in my confirmation group last night. I have a little book that I carry in my purse that I call my "Brain Book". I write down things I want to remember and draw out my ideas as I have them. Last night I was using the book to take notes on the pastors teaching time so I would remember the things I wanted to bring up with my group. During our small group discussion time, I had my book out and laying in front of me open to the page with the notes on it. One of the girls picked up the book and asked if she could look through it. As she turned the pages, she exclaimed "There's pictures in here. You draw?" It was an expression of utter amazement. I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not. Needless to say, my book went around the circle for the other girls to see. While there was nothing terribly personal in the book, just ideas, I had the same feeling about that I get when my finished pieces are on display - a strange mix of excited, embarrassed, and a little afraid that someone is going to figure out that I have no business doing this art thing. I wonder if that feeling will ever pass. This week has been a little crazy in that I have had a sick kid home from school most of the week. That has meant that I have done my "day" job from home, been running to the doctor, and generally rearranging life to accommodate. Not a lot of art going on here. But lots of kid stuff going on - the good stuff as well as the tough stuff with one sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment